Saturday, May 7, 2016

So Much Math

"I'm Counting on Me to Be My Healthiest."
- Carmen

So. No one told me there would be so much math on this journey. Not a big fan of math. Was never really good at it.

But here I am. App in hand totaling up my meal's calories and nutrients. Did I get in enough protein? How about calcium? How many calories do I have left for dinner? How many ounces of water have I drank? Did I walk enough miles and minutes today?

Sheesh.

Add to that (pun most definitely intended) I also have the 20:20:20 rule to follow. That's having 20 bites of food, in 20 minutes, and making sure to chew each bite 20 times. How's that for mindful eating?

Got to be honest, I forget what number bite I'm on once I get to about 5. Really. You try it - it ain't easy to keep track of! Especially when you're also counting your chews.

But there is a reason for all of this. I do understand.

When you have bariatric surgery you must be aware of how much protein your body is consuming. (FYI, women need 60-80 mg of protein a day.) Make sure you have enough of a caloric intake to burn energy - I'm lucky if I hit 800-900 calories a day. Doesn't sound like much, but I can't eat any more than that. And, make sure you are keeping hydrated.

I think that is the hardest part. I am already full of food, protein shakes or protein drinks - water is the last thing I want to consume. And, I'm full already. Good thing that as I exchange good, high protein foods for the protein drinks I'll be able to drink more water.

Of course, I'll have to watch the clock - see, I can't drink anything 30 minutes before eating or 30 minutes after. The water will both keep me too full to eat the nutrients I need if I drink before and then it will flush the food out of my system too quickly to absorb the nutrients if I drink after.

I know. My head spins too.

There are just too many numbers to keep track of. 20:20:20, 30:30, 800, 900, 60, 80... carry the one.

I feel as though I have something in my mouth pretty much all day. Food is pretty much all I think of. Purchasing it. Preparing it. Eating it within slow, small bites - enough bites with enough chewing. I'm obsessed.

And, we haven't even talked about the vitamins and supplements! Lordy! I have a schedule on Google Calendar. No, really. I actually keep an alarm on my phone to tell me when I have to take my pills or chew my vitamins. Multivitamin, Vitamin B1, B12, Calcium with Vitamin D, Iron. But you can't take them together. They won't absorb in your system well if you do.

Crazy.

I know it will get easier. In time. But for now all this math is nutty.

Thank goodness for Apps! I'm counting on them!

But mainly, I'm counting on myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment