Monday, May 23, 2016

Just Keep Swimming

"Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming."
- Dory (Finding Nemo)

It's funny. When you're gaining weight you don't think about how quickly you are packing it on. It seems to slowly creep up on you.

And, it's not like you want to step on a scale everyday to see if the needle moved up, or anything. Why would you?

But when you are intentionally trying to lose weight, you can't lose it fast enough.

It took years to get this big. Why would it take weeks to lose it all? And, yet...here I am.

I have read many of the bariatric sleeve boards and it seems everyone gets upset or bothered when the scale doesn't move from one day to the other. Or in the direction they want to see it move. I sometimes wonder why they would get on the scale everyday anyway. I sure don't.

We seem to forget that our stomachs are also still recuperating from the surgery. Our bodies are getting adjusted to the changes inside. We are eating so little that our metabolism is trying to catch up. Of course our losing will stall and then dip, and stall and dip.

But, you do want to see results. I soooo get it!

I stalled a couple of times already. But I stuck with my plan.

Experts say that the surgery will take care of weight loss for at least the first 6 to 7 months, then it is all up to you after that. Of course, you lose more if you exercise to help your metabolism do it's work. So, I have to make my changes a habit and just keep moving forward.

So when I stalled, I had Dory's words in my head, "just keep swimming, just keep swimming." And, I didn't step on that scale again for a few days. I have to also trust those experts and do my part for my success.

Then, it happened. I stepped on the scale and saw it go down by 3.5 pounds.

I'm on week 5.

That's 33.5 pounds down for those keeping track.


No comments:

Post a Comment