Friday, May 6, 2016

Just Move

Food is the Most Abused Anxiety Drug.
Exercise is the Most Underutilized Antidepressant.
- Anonymous

Ain't that the truth.

I've abused food my entire life. And, not just to squelch anxiety. I used it to make me happy, to hid behind, to celebrate - It was my drug of choice.

Now I only eat about 800 calories a day - and I'm stuffed.

Part of this process is exercise. My doctor gave me an informational tip sheet at my post op visit. Most people, it claims, asks what the most successful patients do to make a success of the surgery. Of course, exercise was number two on the list. (The first was follow the food plan.)

But movement - any kind at first - was most recommended. No fancy gyms. No personal trainers. Just a good pair of sneakers and a walk. Ten minutes a day, at first, with an elevated heart beat. Then increase it until you can do 30 minutes in a day.

Have I mentioned how sedentary my life has been these last, oh, 5 - 8 years? Well, it has been. Pretty darn sedentary.

You see my knees hurt. Super bad. I have had arthroscopic surgery done on both knees to buy me time before having to have them replaced. Unfortunately, I think the time has come, but what good is the surgery if you can't carry your weight on your knees anyway.

So, I'm walking.

I do walk thirty minutes a day - just in 10 minute intervals.  Ten minutes in the morning. Ten minutes in the afternoon. Ten minutes in the evening. Until I can get past watching the clock for those 10 minutes and move past it, I'll continue to do this regime. I just got to keep these knees moving.

I would like to say that I'm depressed that my knees hurt so bad when I walk. In fact, as soon as my 10 minutes are up, I rush to my chair. But, I kinda like the rush of having my heart pumping on purpose. I like seeing the steps on my Fitbit. I like seeing how far I have gone in miles.

I realize that it is only 10 minutes at a time, but I also realize that with time I will be able to increase my stamina. And, it makes me happy. Soon I'll be able to go to the gym and walk on a treadmill. But for now, I'll just walk around the neighborhood. When it rains, around my dining room table.

I really don't consider it exercising. I consider it part of the process.

And, geez. I'm happy! Can you get endorphins with only 10 minutes of walking at a time? It seems to be working.

Down 28.8 pounds

No comments:

Post a Comment