Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Just Try

 "Every Accomplishment Starts with the Decision to Try."
- Brian Littrell

I love coffee. No, really. I LOVE coffee. So, imagine my delight when I saw that decaf coffee was allowed on my week one liquid diet.

Sure. I would have to drink it black, but hey; beggars can't be choosers. The only liquids I have had these last four days have been protein shakes, protein drinks and jello. Not even broth tasted good. But, coffee...Ahhhh.

So, this morning I had a cup of decaf coffee for the first time since surgery. Delish. Loved it.

Unfortunately, the coffee didn't like me much. My stomach decided to make a big to-do about having something new in my system. Both of us weren't very happy with that.

It got me started thinking of all the "new" things I would have to eventually try. My first bite of "real" food in the form of a pureed soup. Thin oatmeal. Applesauce. Yogurt.

Then moving on to solid food.

I've never really been afraid of new things in the past, but...now I'm hesitant.

Tastes are different already. Smells are different. My choices will all be different.

The amount of food will absolutely be different.

But different is good. Right? Different will get me on my way to a healthy way of being.

This whole endeavor is something new I'm trying. Losing weight was never as successful as it could have been or stuck with me as I would have hoped. But trying new things now has taken on a new meaning.

This "new thing" is a permanent part of me. It's kind of scary thinking of all the differences ahead of me.

And, that's ok. Because if it scares you, it might be a good thing to try.

Besides, every decision starts with a decision to try.

This is my biggest decision of my life. Aside from trying the coffee this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment