Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Shedding

"Clutter isn't just in your home, attic, garage or office. Clutter is also in your mind, and distracts you from the amazing things you are meant to do."
- Katrina Mayer

I've gone shopping for clothes a bit more lately. I actually enjoy shopping now. Can't say that I truly enjoyed it much before - having to go out of my way to find Plus-Size stores. Then going through all the clothes that "designers" feel are what big women want. You know, muumuus, small tents, loud designs.

As my clothes hang on me I really do have to purchase new, smaller sized, clothes. And, of course, I have to get rid of the old ones to make room for the new smaller ones. Besides, I'm never, ever going back to that size again. So, why keep them?

I've already donated a lot of clothes, but kept what I could to wear. Now it is time that nothing I have is workable. Ten-plus years of clothes sitting on the front stoop waiting for the donation truck.  Ten-plus years of items that reflected who I was - big, colorful, loud, supposedly stylish. Ten-plus years of work skirts and shirts and jackets and vests and coats. Ten-plus years of jeans, and t-shirts and sweaters. Ten-plus years of sizes 28, 26, XXL, XXXL.

It feels like I'm shedding my skin as I see the piles and piles and bags and bags of clothes to have hauled away.

Shedding my skin has been a new adventure to be sure but it has helped me become real. And, I have found it hasn't stopped at clothes.  I'm shedding what no longer serves me in so many other ways too.

Books
Knick-Knacks
Bad Habits
Thoughts
Actions
Emotions
People

It's amazing the weight being lifted - in more ways than one, obviously.

Are my thoughts clearer without so much baggage? The un-cluttered spaces allowing room for new feelings and positive energy?

Yes! It's freeing. Liberating.

There's a new simplicity now. Even surrounded by counting, planning, chewing with purpose, mindful eating, I feel liberated in a new way.

I can see why snakes do it - what a great feeling to allow for further growth and find new amazing things to do with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment